Citizenship Lawyer in Los Angeles
Citizenship Lawyer in Los Angeles
What Are The Requirements For Citizenship?
Call Us Today 213-423-7788
The latest data released by the Department of Homeland Security suggests that more than 850,000 immigrants become naturalized citizens each year. However, nearly 10 percent of all naturalization applications are denied.
With that in mind, obtaining U.S. citizenship in Los Angeles is not a guarantee. That can be true even if you meet all of the requirements outlined by USCIS. Working with a proven naturalization and citizenship lawyer in LA can improve your chances of a successful application.
Our Los Angeles immigration attorneys are compassionate, skillful, and determined to help as many Los Angeles immigrants as we can to live their American dream.
Requirements for U.S. Citizenship
Regardless of how you obtain permanent residency (i.e., marriage, employment, diversity lottery, etc.), all applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years of age at the time of application
- Be a lawful permanent resident for at least three or five years
- Continuously and physically reside in the U.S.
- Live in your USCIS district for at least three months before filing
- Demonstrate good moral character
- Understand and stand with U.S. democratic principles and ideals
- Read, write, and speak English
- Have a basic understanding of U.S. history and civics
- Pledge an oath of allegiance to the U.S.
It’s important to remember that every immigration case is unique. It’s typically best to consult with an immigration lawyer in Los Angeles to ensure that you qualify for naturalization before starting the process.
How To Pass U.S. Citizenship Interview In Los Angeles
According to recent research, more than 90 percent of people pass the citizenship test. That means that you are more likely to pass it than you are to fail, so long as you take it seriously and prepare. Unfortunately, the few that do fail the test often do so because they are overconfident.
With that in mind, it’s in your best interest to take advantage of the free study tools offered by USCIS. In addition, there are countless free quizzes and tests online. Don’t assume that you know the information. Test yourself before taking the one that matters the most.
Additionally, your Los Angeles immigration attorney can help you to prepare for the citizenship interview.
What To Expect At U.S. Citizenship And Immigration Services In LA
If you live in LA and apply for citizenship, your interview will likely take place at USCIS in Los Angeles. You should set your expectations for USCIS in LA at the same level that you would set them for a DMV visit. That means that you should:
- Come 1 to 2 hours early and prepare to stay late
- Bring the correct documents – double and triple check them
- Bring your appointment letter – or else you may not be let in
- Bring your own pen (Due to COVID)
- Be prepared to pay roughly $20 for parking, or book an Uber / Lyft
Do You Need a Lawyer to Apply For U.S. Citizenship?
You’re not required to hire an immigration attorney in Los Angeles to apply for citizenship. However, in some cases, it’s highly recommended. You should speak with a LA citizenship attorney if you fit into any of the following categories:
- You’re not sure if you’re eligible for naturalization
- You’ve been arrested or convicted of a crime or violated immigration laws
- You’re not 100 percent sure of how to apply for citizenship
- There’s a possibility that you’re already a U.S. citizen
- You want to avoid stress and uncertainty
Generally, if you are sure that you qualify for citizenship, know how to file for it and don’t have a complicated case, you may be fine filing on your own. However, if you fit into any of the categories listed above, it’s in your best interest to consult with a LA citizenship lawyer as soon as possible.